8.29.2009

Relational Parents

Last weekend I went on a bike ride with a few friends. After peddling for a while in our commuter community, I intentionally gazed down at the semi-solid petroleum beneath me in order to pay special respect to the hard work accomplished by trade unions. Even today, these men and women still band together (in part) because of people like Samuel Gompers. Continued reflection while peddling led me only to think more about the amusing history of the American Federation of Labor, Jon Knowles, and the subsequent spawning of the Congress of Industrial Organizations.


During a mid-bike-back-porch sit, a motion was made to snag some ingredients and make dinner. After gathering our foodstuffs from Morton's infamous Walmart, we cruised back to the unincorporated municipality known as Groveland. While my friends (Micah & Kim) went into la cocina, I went out onto the back deck to shuck the sweet corn. I also attempted to help the others grill some turkey burgers, which only lead to me questioning our contingency on food especially as it relates to the industrial revolution and also the domestication of animals.

After about an hour or so of preparation, the meal was finally ready. As I sat in my chair, I warmly received good conversations and inside jokes that made me giggle.


My experiences that day were great, however, I doubt I would have written any of this had it not been for the timely conversation that I had with one of my friends' mom, which involved a considerable amount of venting about my upbringing, homeschooling, and the Peoria Fencing Academy.


She put me through the gamut of standard questions about my own life goals, aspirations, job situation, etc., but thankfully the conversation took a more serious turn. As our discussions progressed, I was quickly engaged with real dialogue that, to me, seemed much more meaningful. This was refreshing and I could tell that she wanted to hear my story and entered into it with unashamed sincerity. She gave me advice, and for a change, I actually listened because I experienced a certain feeling of joy that enabled me to reciprocate her actions. (How meaningful it truly is to have another human explore and join with us in our struggles.) Even though this process is not always perfect and humans do not typically understand or know how to relate to others, the welcoming effort is such a blessing.


Thank you, Rosy Larson, for welcoming me into substantive conversation and a Christianity that resonates with the biblical narrative.


5 comments:

Jon said...

Nice reference to Samuel Gompers. He's a really interesting figure in American labor history, but ultimately he strikes me as sort of a sell out. Eugene Debs, on the other hand, is a personal hero of mine.

Regardless, this sounds like it was a really profitable night, and I wish I were there for it.

Joe said...

That whole paragraph was for you.

Kimberlee said...

BIKE AND BRUNCH.
We should do that this Friday! I only work a half day.

Joe said...

I support that.

jitzig said...

thanks for sharing. i enjoyed reading this